- "Wherever and whenever there’s evil, the tide on Planet Neptune roars!"
- —Sailor Neptune, Ep. #91
Michelle Kaioh (海王みちる Kaiō Michiru?) is one of three Outer Sailor Scouts and a supporting character in Sailor Moon S. In the 20th century of pre-Crystal Tokyo, Michelle and her partner, Amara Tenoh search for the Pure Heart Crystal that will lead them to the Purity Chalice. Michelle is the reincarnation of the Princess of Neptune and the civilian identity of Sailor Neptune. Like Sailor Mercury, Neptune's powers are associated with the element of water.
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Neptune and her partner Sailor Uranus appeared to stop the Bureau of Bad Behavior, led by Doctor Tomoe, from using the Silence to destroy the world. They were searching for three specific Pure Hearts to make the Purity Chalice appear so they could stop them, even though they knew that the ones with the Pure Hearts would die from being separated from them for too long. For this reason, the Sailor Scouts did not get along well with them, plus they preferred to work alone.
In "Destiny's Arrival", it is revealed that she and Sailor Uranus have two of the three Pure Heart Crystals. Eugeal extracted her Pure Heart, which took the form of the Deep Aqua Mirror. Later, Sailor Pluto returned the Pure Hearts to them, separating them from the saber and the mirror.
They still refused to work together with the Sailor Scouts, and wanted to destroy Hotaru when they found out she was possessed by Mistress 9. They fought Germatoid when he left Doctor Tomoe, and were losing until their Pure Heart items appeared. Sailor Neptune used the Deep Aqua Mirror to immobilize all the fake Germatoids, allowing Sailor Uranus to finish Germatoid off.
After the defeat of Pharaoh 90, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus fought Sailor Moon, believing that she should not be the future queen. In the end, a light shone from Sailor Moon's tiara causing Sailor Uranus to crash into Sailor Neptune. From here, they recognized her as their ruler, and it is implied that Sailor Moon is the Sovereign after all.
Hearts in Ice (Sailor Moon S)
Black Dream Hole (Sailor Moon Super S)
Powers and Abilities
- Neptune Deep Submerge -
- Submarine Reflection - Michelle's secondary and arguably strongest attack, gained after she loses her Pure Heart.
- Amara and Michelle never appear in the fourth season, Sailor Moon Super S. They only appear in its film, Black Dream Hole alongside Trista (who was also absent in the fourth season).
- In 1998 the toy company Irwin released a collection of Sailor Moon dolls that featured Sailor Neptune. Sailor Neptune was given the civilian name "Nerissa".
- "Michelle" is the feminine spelling of the French and Hebrew name "Michael", meaning "Who is like God?".
- Barbara Radecki (Sailor Neptune) and Sarah LaFleur recorded their lines together during the production of Sailor Moon S.
- Barbara Radecki also voices Serena's mother, Ikuko Tsukino.